Topic: "Statistics" (page 1 of 1)

Author Post
moose
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Hi admins,

what do you think about publishing some statistics of bright-shadows?

I'm curious how many users log in per day in average (by month). How many challenges get solved per day? How many users use wechall?

How are the browsers distributed (according to linkstatcounter IE is still the most used browser. I don't think thats the case for bright-shadows.)? Whats about operating systems? Where do most (active) users come from? This data could be gathered and published with linkPiwik.

Cheers,
moose
private message EMail Website
Hessiann
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
In addition, I would like to be able to see which users have solved a specific chall. Just as you can see the rates of a chall, I would like to see which other users have solved it.
Anyway I dont think they will do this since the site is kinda dead, it is still open and running, but no new features are to come to tbs, and old players wont be back to finish the list of challs unsolved....Its a shame...

hess
private message EMail
Baubbi
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
the site used to have this option of seeing who solved which challenge, but they removed it since it lead to a lot of spamming for hints and even directly asking for solutions. removing this encouraged the forums. Now, you can only see the list of people who solved a challenge once you've solved it.

-Baubbi-
private message EMail
Hessiann
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Ahh I didnt know that :)

Thanks for the info buddy!
private message EMail
Baubbi
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
but I am on the same line as you for the lack of activity one the site. we've talked about it in another topic a couple of months ago and all agreed it would be fun to have new challenges. but we have to remember this site was created something like 8-9 years ago and the lifestyles of the admins aren't the same now. they have probably set up with a job and family and don't have as much free time as they used to, and when they do have some, I don't really think their priority is to program new things for a hacking challenge website. maybe it would be time they elect one or to new co-admins and forum moderators, but then again it's a matter of finding who to trust for the job...

-Baubbi-
private message EMail
moose
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
QuoteQuote from Baubbi:
maybe it would be time they elect one or to new co-admins and forum moderators, but then again it's a matter of finding who to trust for the job...

Well, in Wikipedia administrators get voted by the community. Not every wiki-user has the right to vote (you have to have a minimum number of edits and fulfill some more restrictions to get the right to vote).
This could be done simmilar in TBS. Here is a draft for a co-admin-votingscript:

Is the last visit of one admin more than two weeks ago? -> start voting a new co-admin:
  • Create a new News-entry with a link to the election
  • List all users who fulfill the followin restrictions. At start, list all of them and initialise each of them with voteCount 0. Order by voteCount and solved challenges:
    • Check how many challenges are solved by the member with rank 250. For this voting, every member with more solved challenges can get admin
    • The user has to have confirmed that he is willing to get admin in "My Account"
    • The user has to have written at least 20 posts in the forum.
    • The user has to have logged in in the last week.
  • The existing admins may take a veto which instantly removes the user and sends messages to all users who have voted for him.
  • After two weeks the two users with the most votes get into the next round of voting a co-admin. Make a notice in "News"
  • After two weeks the user with most votes gets a new co-admin if he has at least 50 votes.

If you thought about real web-admin work (programming/changing something directly on the server, not via bright-shadows-interface), then OpenSource could be helpful. The bright-shadows-software could be pulished e.g. on code.google.com and get new input there. So the existing admins would "only" have to control if the changes are ok and upload them.

But both suggestions are far more than what I thought of. I think the data I ask for already exists. If not, Pikwi could get and publish it quite easily. It has only to be set up.
private message EMail Website

Topic: "Statistics" (page 1 of 1)