Topic: "Ideas" (page 1 of 4)

1 2 3 4 >
Author Post
paralax
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
There have been a few small things that would make this site nicer (in no perticular order):

• Move the "new post" section to the top of the forum page. I wish I wouldn't have to scroll to the bottom as that is my usual target
  • Check the new forum indication. I think it sometimes thinks that new topics aren't new to me. I have been here when the number of new topics suddenly decreases by 4 or there have been times when I go to visit a board and there is new stuff there that I wasn't notified about.
  • Check browser compatibility. I use firefox as my browser in windows, and I understand that there are problems when you use a non-standard browser, but it shouldn't take too much effort to make the elements standard html. Most things render properly, except for the forum page, and most of the widths. Just an idea, not a big deal.
  • Check the "groupmaster" system. When the new logic problem was added, I saw that only 2 people had solved it, but way more than 2 people still had groupmaster icons for the logic area
  • Make a link on the challenge page to all forum posts pertaining to it. I know that when I'm working on a challenge, I don't like hunting for the pertinent board posts.

Just some ideas, I welcome discussion.
private message EMail Website
velo
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
+ Is it possible to make a filter in forum, so we can filter topics which belong to some challenge(s).

private message
pjsk8
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
"Make a link on the challenge page to all forum posts pertaining to it."
Wow, that was gonna be on my next post. Good thinking. Yes, I have some problems with the new forum post indicator as well, especially with the logic questions portion. Everything else seeems to be working fine, but that one section never quite shows up. I also agree with the new forum posts being at the top of the forum page, but if you really think about it, the forum page is divided into "folder-like" sections, which would throw off the whole appearcnce of this page. Well, it is up to Tbs or Erik to decide upon this one. Other than that, not much is lacking.
private message
grosquick
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
I agree with the three first points. Especially for the third
For the rest, I like hunting :-)
private message
Erik
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Hi,
QuoteQuote from paralax:
Move the "new post" section to the top of the forum page. I wish I wouldn't have to scroll to the bottom as that is my usual target.
I'm working on a new design for the whole forum. I would like your oppinions (except the new-post stuff, I have to think about it - maybe it will be changed completely): linknew Forum-Structure.

QuoteQuote from paralax:
Check browser compatibility. I use firefox as my browser in windows, and I understand that there are problems when you use a non-standard browser, but it shouldn't take too much effort to make the elements standard html. Most things render properly, except for the forum page, and most of the widths. Just an idea, not a big deal.
Well the problem is that in fact I do everything in standard html. Especially I use always css to layout something, no deprecated html tags and so on. But the problem is, that from what I have experienced so far, the Internet Explorer really follows the rules. But in Netscape, I have to use the old deprecated align-property to get some elements into the center or so. It doesn't correctly interpret the text-align-css-property. That's just an example. So it took me a whole week-end to get the menu on the left working properly in Netscape. The point is that I don't want to work so lots of hours to make the site looking well under each browser while making the code non-standard and dirty. At some points you also would have to distinguish between the browsers and produce different html for everyone of these to get a correct result. I simply don't want do this.

If there are any points where any of you finds a bug or a still standard-compatible way to change it making it looking more correct in an other browser, then just tell me and I will change it.

QuoteQuote from paralax:
Check the "groupmaster" system. When the new logic problem was added, I saw that only 2 people had solved it, but way more than 2 people still had groupmaster icons for the logic area.
Well, that is no problem. If a new challenge is added, there's a hidden nice link for the admins they have to klick on. And then it magically ensures that every group-master-settings are allright. It just happens sometimes that we forget to klick it as we don't have any interface for setting up new challenges.

bye, Erik :-)
grosquick
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Very smart. :-)
But till now you keep the structure :-(
So as paralax sayd, to reach the other stuff section or even the off topic section, you have to scroll down the page. Except if the tree is not developped.
Another thing : For some reasons, in the new message section, i can't see all the new messages so in the same time I keep an eye on the last message column.
It would be great if the date was more visible, I mean , in one look we could see the age of the last topic maybe like the changing colors of the number of solutions for the challenges.
private message
Erik
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
Hi,

meanwhile I think that it would be better not to put the new-topic list on the structure page. I think it would be better to post them on an extra page or on the home-page. Because there you always directly see new posts after the login. And I somehow think that the new-topic-list doesn't really belong to the forum structure.
That's my idea. What do you think about?

bye, Erik :-)
wzZx
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
private message
paralax
groupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmastergroupmaster
I like the idea.

Did you read the part about sorting the forum postings by challenges? I don't think it would be that hard, (if your database is set up the way i think it is), and it would be very nice to get info about the specific challenge that you are working on.

Thanks
pjsk8
Yes, I agree with paralax, that would be really nice.
private message

Topic: "Ideas" (page 1 of 4)

1 2 3 4 >